Thursday, October 13, 2011

Mahjoub ‘Conference’ – Wednesday, October 12, 2011, Federal Court, 180 Queen Street, 7th floor

I got there just before they adjourned at 11:10 am. However I did speak with Mohamed, his lawyer Paul Slansky and another lawyer who attended as an observer. The 'Conference' was under the direction of Judge Aalto and the Justice Dept. had their 'Separation of documents Team' there, consisting of former lawyer on the case Rhonda Marquis (who has been bumped up to an administrative position with 'Justice' and will no longer be on this case in any event but who is familiar with the case) and the other person - a lawyer who I have seen three times now - she was present in court last Monday during the full day hearing under Judge Blanchard. She sat in the gallery with the rest of us. She was also one of the 'Justice' people at last Wednesday's 'Conference'. I didn't get her name.

Paul Slansky, Mohamed, and Mohamed's interpreter were there yesterday and Mme. Doyon was present by video.

I don't know for sure but I don't think 'Public Counsel' has yet chosen their 'Team'. Judge Aalto expressed his happiness with the speed of things - I know that he had discussed previously being able to get funding for the procedures to follow. P.C. expressed some doubt at last week's 'Conference' about getting Legal Aid to pay for the procedures.

After the 'Conference' while speaking with Mohamed, Paul and the other lawyer, Paul explained to me that there is still an order by Judge Blanchard that court appointed officers to the 'Separation Team' can no longer be 'on the record' with M.'s case and perhaps any other security/immigration case. I think there is still some disagreement on how far this would go - I think I heard that expressed during the few minutes I was at the 'Conference'. They also talked about the 'Chinese Wall' - that was mentioned by the lawyers in court last Monday - meaning that any lawyer appointed to a team like this cannot discuss their findings or opinions with anyone at their law firm, which is very difficult to confirm happens.

The next 'Conference' is by phone, next Wednesday, Oct. 19 and won't be public.

No comments: