Friday, December 03, 2010

Mahjoub Hearing - Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Hi all:

I didn’t go to court today but did receive a brief report from Esther Kern who was there. I also spoke with Mohamed on the phone this evening. He seems to be catching a cold but is treating it as he knows how.

Esther’s report follows and I really appreciate it and ask anyone else who is at court when I’m not, to send me a brief comment like this that I can share:

“Just to let you know, I did spend some time in court this afternoon and found it to be most interesting! (Professor) Dr. Wark was testifying about the “extraordinary rendition practices” of the US and how Canada is involved. He also talked a lot about the Egyptian government and their role in torture and imprisonment. There was some information about the (Returnees from) Albania trials, and I have no idea what that is about. There were eight observers there at the time. (three of them were Mohamed’s supporters according to Mohamed; the rest were court staff or security people plus of course Mohamed and his interpreter).

Mohamed also told me that Professor Wark’s testimony was excellent and even more detailed than that which he gave at the ‘Torture Motion’ hearings last spring. Yesterday, Mr. Tyndale, the Ministers’ Counsel, tried to destroy Professor Wark’s reputation as an ‘expert witness’, so Mohamed said it was heartening to hear Judge Blanchard introduce Professor Wark as an ‘expert witness’.

Mohamed told me that Professor Wark’s testimony will continue tomorrow morning (Thursday) under the examination of People’s Counsel Yamar Hameed, beginning (please note) at 9 am with court adjournment at 3 pm.

After tomorrow (Thursday), hearings will resume on Monday, November 29. Mr. Tyndale is scheduled to cross-examine Professor Wark beginning on Tuesday, November 30. I’m not sure what is scheduled for Monday.

Note: Court does not sit on Friday.

Thanks to all who have attended this week!

Federal Court is at 180 Queen St. W. (near Osgoode station), 6th floor, room D.

No comments: