Friday, December 03, 2010

Mahjoub Hearings - Week of November 29 to December 1, 2010

Hi all:

I have little to report about the Mahjoub hearings this week because I did not get to court. I have been occupied with the serious illness of one of my adult sons – having to do with some deterioration of two vertebrae in his neck. There has been no resolution of his illness so far but perhaps there will be some information this week as his family doctor is trying to have him admitted to Hamilton General Hospital likely for a surgery biopsy.

Mohamed did speak to me and I was also speaking to Barney who came to court on Wednesday, and from what I can remember, the early part of the week was spent examing a CSIS agent that Mohamed knows, regarding CSIS policies and procedures dated from 1997 to 2010. Not too much happened on Wednesday but one of Mohamed’s court appointed supervisors, El Sayed, was examined by Public Counsel, I assume about his relationship to Mohamed. The Ministers’ Counsel did not choose to cross examine the witness.

Court was adjourned Thursday and Friday but will resume on Monday, December 6, I assume at 9:30 am.

I do know of several people who attended court this week and thank them for their persistent attendance. I know that it encourages Mohamed to have people attending even if just for a short time and it lets the court know that the public is interested in this human rights case. It was interesting to note that one of the Wikileaks, quoted former CSIS head Jim Judd as saying that (my paraphrasing) Canadian courts were too soft and allowed human rights considerations to interfere with CSIS’ attempts to deport people – without a hearing.

During the first two days of next week – December 6 to Dec. 9 or 10, Ministers’ Counsel is calling their own witness – I don’t know who. Then in the latter part of the week, an expert witness will testify - Dr. Fawaz A. Gerges, Professor of Middle Eastern Politics and International Relations at the London School of Economics and Political Science. He is an expert on Middle Eastern affairs and is often called as a commentator on CNN Europe and possibly BBC. He is a very good speaker.

Hearings are located at 180 Queen St. W. (near the Osgoode station on University), 6th floor, room D.

See you in court

No comments: